As usual, the ingredients are straight from the book and the instructions incorporate my observations and any alterations.
Roasted Parsnips and Sweet Potatoes with Caper Vinaigrette
(p. 16, Plenty)
Serves 4
4 parsnips (1 1/2 lbs in total)
4 medium red onions
2/3 cup olive oil
4 thyme sprigs
2 rosemary sprigs
1 head garlic, halved horizontally
salt and black pepper
2 medium sweet potatoes (1 1/4 lbs in total)
30 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp small capers (roughly chopped if large)
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375F. While the oven is heating, trim and peel the parsnips and then cut into segments roughly two inches long. Cut each segment into halves or quarters, trying to get evenly sized pieces so they roast at the same rate. Yotam espouses 1/2-inch wide segments, but I didn't get quite that particular. When the parsnips are prepared, peel the onions and cut each into six wedges.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the parsnips, onions, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, the thyme, rosemary, garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt and some pepper. I ended up peeling my cloves of garlic and adding them to the diced vegetables.
Mix everything well and spread it out in a large baking or roasting pan.
Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
While the parsnips and onions are roasting, start preparing the sweet potatoes. Trim each end, but to not peel them. Cut them in half widthways, and cut each half into wedges of a similar size to the parsnips that are already in the oven. I found that was anywhere from 4 to 6 wedges per sweet potato half, depending on the size of the sweet potato.
After the 20 minutes roasting time for the parsnips has elapsed, add the sweet potato wedges to the roasting pan.
Give everything a good stir and return to the oven for another 40 to 50 minutes.
While the roots roast, halve the cherry tomatoes if you haven't already. When the vegetables have cooked through and are turning golden in the pan, stir in the halved cherry tomatoes and roast for a further 10 minutes.
While the vegetables finish their final roast, make the vinaigrette by whisking together the lemon juice, maple syrup, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When well combined, stir in the capers. I was sadly out of Dijon and so it was omitted, but I imagine it would be lovely. Next time.
When the vegetables have finished roasting, remove the pan from the oven and pour the dressing over them immediately while everything is still very hot. Stir well to combine all of the flavours, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if required. Scatter the sesame seeds over the vegetables, if using, and serve at the table directly from the roasting pan if desired.
Then enjoy!
I scaled back on the onion when I was prepping, using two large yellow onions as they were what I had on hand. They were incredibly strong and I decided I didn't want the trial of cutting another one up to add to the reaction-tears. In hindsight, that was a little silly as the onions caramelized so nicely in the pan... I should have suffered a bit more for the delayed gratification of their deliciousness later. Now I know. I also think that the Dijon would be a lovely addition, and when I make this again, I will be sure to have some on hand so I can include it. I could have sworn I had a jar in the fridge, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
This is simple and delicious, and is almost comfort food for me. It reminds me of fall, a bit, which worked well with the cool evening we are having here. I highly recommend this dish.

No comments:
Post a Comment